Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Detroit

i can only ever hope that someone is actually reading this, and that someone is actually impacted by my words.

a man my father and others knew and loved passed away a few days ago, so it was time for my father and i to make an impromptu trip to detroit for the funeral. i know you are thinking that no respectable grandparents would live in the city of Detroit, and you would be quite right, because mine live outside of Detroit in a place called Fernadale. when driving through
Detroit to get to Ferndale i saw a city diminished. all the signs of a thriving metropolis area were once there, now replaced with decay. i saw women with no hope in their eyes crossing the street. chipped paint and broken windows describe the diminished dreams of the people still living in the bad side of this broken city.

today i am going shopping, and out for polish food. weight gain on this trip in imminent.

i sat with my grandparents today over coffee and was struck by what they once were, before i even knew them. my grandfather has a tattoo of a Hawaiian girl in a bikini on his forearm. it was once a nude Hawaiian girl, but he had a bikini drawn in before his mother saw. it frightens me to know that one day this is my fate as well. nearing the end with youthful memories to look back upon. i suppose i should focus on making the memories and documenting them for the time being, hence blogging.

if there is someone out in the vast expanses of the internet who is actually reading my blog, please comment or subscribe or the like. i put my heart into what i write, and i actually write it under the notion that there is a living breathing human who considers this blog a good source of literature. i can settle for decent.

No comments: